Friday, May 12, 2017

Tips for Crafting the Ultimate Dystopian World: A Guest Post by Elizabeth Hunter

Greetings, earthlings! I hope you are all doing well. I'm almost done with my finals and look forward to getting back to my regular posting. However, today I'm thankful for my workload because it means I have an excuse to bring you this excellent post by Elizabeth Hunter. She's here to break down what makes a good dystopian world. This article will give you a ton of ideas, so get ready to take notes. 

I've been fascinated by Dystopian literature ever since I secretly read 1984 in 6th grade. (Very dystopian of me, I know) I devoured The Hunger Games, fell in love with the Giver, and often imagine creating my own dystopian world, in a book of course.

Not everything that claims to be dystopian is dystopian. If you choose to write, or read dystopian fiction, you should know what makes something truly dystopian. On another note, when politicians claim that government is becoming dystopian, knowing what really is dystopian can help you decide if the fear mongering is legit.

I'm going to use a lot of literary examples to flesh out dystopian world building. So be prepared for illusions to: The Giver, 1984, Brave New World, The Hunger Games, and Divergent.
Tips for Crafting the Ultimate Dystopian World: A Guest Post by Elizabeth Hunter
Illusion of Choice

Dystopian governments know people need choice. Especially Westerners. We don't want to think we don't have any say over our lives. To compensate for this, dystopian governments always provide choice.

Katniss can choose whether or not to volunteer for The Hunger Games. Tris can choose which faction to join. Winston must decide whether or not to join a rebellion.

But, this choice is entirely dictated by the government. The government creates the options, so even your choice is an illusion.

Some call this shadow government. A puppet act. Either way, characters feel empowered by their choices, only to become a tool of the government.


At some point in a dystopian world, one character realizes this choice isn't all it's cracked up to be. As Peeta remarks to Katniss, "I just don't want to become a piece in their games."

In a dystopian world, you're just a piece in the game. Each step the characters take falls right into the government’s hands. They expect you to take that choice and even manipulate you into thinking you choose that choice.

Winston falls into this trap in 1984. Contacted by a government agent to join a rebellion, Winston jumps aboard. He feels empowered making this decision; he's finally taking a step against the regime that has held him hostage.

But this choice plays right into the governments hands. In the end, Winston's decisions only doom his fate. Winston was always a puppet of the dystopian government.

Utopian Beginnings

Each dystopia starts as a utopia. No one wants to live in a government controlled hell. But everyone wants a slice of heaven on earth.

To begin writing a dystopia, you must ask, "What creates a perfect society?"

But perfect for you, is not perfect for me. To create a sublime society, you cannot make everyone happy. Something must be sacrificed in order to create perfection. In The Hunger Games, the districts are sacrificed to give the Capitol a Utopian world of privilege. In Divergent, individuality is sacrificed for the Utopian ideal of group conformity.

Lois Lowry in The Giver paints this picture exceptionally well. The Society is perfect: no pain, no suffering, no disease.

But to create this perfect society, something was sacrificed. Feeling.

The characters in The Giver are content with their society as long as they don't know what's been sacrificed. But once the weight of loss is impressed on Jonas, he cannot bear to live in this seemingly perfect world.


A well-rounded dystopian novel has glimpses of good. In the Giver, we admire the precision of language, the family units, the controlled, perfect weather.

But at the same time, our stomach turns at the casual disposal of children. The loss of love. And the Societal control of every aspect of their lives.

The Giver nearly perfectly balances Utopia and Dystopia. Don't create a dystopian world that has no element of Utopia. Otherwise, the government will feel contrived.

1984 fails with creating a needed government. The entire society is afraid of Big Brother. Communist thugs rule the word. This Dystopian government feels contrived, forced into existence by the death of Capitalism. (Just guessing with that, I'm not really sure why Big Brother exists)

As a reader, I'm angry with the government in 1984. I'm angry with a complacent population that lets the government rule like that. I'm angry the government seems to win and how useless the protagonist is against Big Brother.

But in The Giver, I am more than angry. I'm moved to pity. These people are blind, because everything seems perfect.

Unless you're trying to get readers to burn your books, create a dystopian society to be pitied. People that need help. People just like you and me, who wouldn't be complacent if they knew they lived in a dystopia.

Both The Giver and 1984 end on similar notes. Does Jonas survive? Will Winston really die?
But I've vowed to never reread 1984, simply because I grew so angry with the people and government.

On the other hand, I love The Giver. I weep for their Society - the love the government has stolen, the lives needlessly lost, and the lies earnestly believed.

Which reaction do you want to create?

Don't Dead End Your Dystopia

The Hunger Games, The Giver, 1984 - all three Dystopian worlds have something in common. The Dystopia is the only option. The history creating the world is fleshed out, the politics workable, and the problems real.


Divergent falls off the Dystopian train when the story becomes an experiment. The Society is an experiment, not a reality.

This is frustrating for readers and for the characters. The life they've always lived is actually just science fiction. In fact, they aren't even needed to stop injustice. The Scientists can decide to stop the experiment at any moment.

I can't imagine finding out my life was truly just part of some grand social experiment, I know that would be soul crushing. So, please don't do this to your characters. It can ruin anyone's day.

Science Fiction and Dystopia are two different fields. I don't recommend you mix the two together. Making your dystopia science fiction, an experiment, limits the humanity of your story.

A dystopian world allows you to explore the depths of depravity and humanity of your characters. You can create a world of moral greys, of unspeakable evil, and of life-altering hope.
But when that world is simply an experiment, the character's journey feels fake, nearly forced.

Don't throw your readers and characters into a tailspin. Don't put their world into a box of experiments.

Now, I'm not bashing science fiction. But I am bashing using experiments as world creators. Dystopias have existed in real life - Nazi Germany, the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, Stalinist Russia.

But no experimental society has ever existed. I think this method of world building is lazy, a cop-out from the harsh realities of government creation our history has given us.

Which leads me to my last idea -

Dystopia is based in reality

No matter what dystopian world you create, there are real life examples of dystopia. Humanity is rife with examples of evil governments and terrible societies, you don't need an exhaustive search in order to borrow ideas from other oppressive regimes.

Suzanne Collins borrowed from ancient Rome for the Capitol in The Hunger Games. George Orwell used his experience in 1930's Russia to craft the world of 1984.

When you sit down to craft a dystopian world, remember, the best dystopias parallel real life.

Did you get ideas for writing a good dystopian world? I know I did. If you want more great thoughts brought to you by Elizabeth Hunter, follow her blog here and her Facebook page here. Now go tell her how awesome she is in the comment section below. And don't forget to leave the title of a book that you thought handled it's dystopian setting well! 

Related articles:
8 Stereotypes in YA Dystopian Novels that Need to Stop
Tips for Writing Stunning Sci-Fi: A Guest Post by S. Alex Martin
Using Context and Subtext to Raise the Stakes in Your Story: A Guest Post by Malcolm Tolman

Enjoy this post? Take a look around. If you like what you see, don't forget to subscribe by email for a new post every week!

Some links are Amazon Affiliate. Thank you for your support! 

7 comments:

  1. Great post! Really good descriptions and example of how to create dystopian worlds. (It drove me nuts too when Divergent turned out to be an experiment)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Divergent was a major lesson in what not to do as an author

      Delete
  2. I love this take, thank you for bringing some clarity to the topic! And yes, I am with you on 1984. It was a great book but it made me really angry too. It's kind of cool though to have a book evoke such strong emotion in you, so on that front I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could enjoy getting angry, but the unresolved problems left me too frustrated. I don't mind getting angry with characters, if my anger seems to help move the plot :-) I'm almost scared to read the Handmaid's Tale because I've heard it has a similar ending.

      Delete
  3. This was so interesting! I agree about the Utopian beginnings: Distopian societies have to be there because someone wanted them, they don't create themselves.
    Have you read Fahrenheit 451? That did all of these things really well, especially the fourth point. In fact, it is chilling because of just how close to reality it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Fahrenheit 451, though it is definitely on my list! Thanks for reminding me about it.

      Delete
  4. Nice post. I haven't written any dystopian yet, thought I've had a few ideas. I've never read 1984, but now you've made me curious, so I'll have to get it from the library. The Giver and the Hunger Games would certainly have to be my top dystopian books. The Maze Runner was pretty interesting too. Like Divergent, they were also part of an experiment, but the outside world wasn't any better than inside the maze.

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics Alternative